Saturday, September 10, 2011

Blog Post #1

I believe that language is acquired is through hearing whatever language is being spoke around you. My background is Puerto Rican, so I naturally grew up in a Spanish speaking household.  When my parents were younger they had the disadvantage of having English as a second language and they did not want that to be the case for me.  They spoke to me in both English and Spanish by teaching me words in both languages for example "water is agua" and "milk is leche" so I was bilingual as a child.  When I started school I only needed English to communicate so I gradually stopped speaking Spanish at home.  As I got older I found myself still able to understand Spanish, but no longer able to speak it as fluently as I used to, because I was no longer speaking it.  Since being able to speak Spanish was not a requirement for my advancement I just forgot about it.  As I got older I took a Spanish class  for a semester in junior high school but once again I relearned what I needed to know in order to pass the class and once the next semester came along I forgot everything I had learned because it was not being reinforced.  When I got to high school I took Italian for two semesters and because both Spanish and Italian come from Latin they have many words in common.  I not only learned Italian but it also helped me remember more Spanish.  I knew I was going to be traveling to Italy that summer, so I made sure to review my notes once and a while so I would not forget what I had learned.  When we finally traveled to Italy I was the official translator.  Even though that was two summers ago I still remember the language, and I assume that is because I continued reinforcing what I learned.  Now my only problem is that since I did not have a solid foundation with Spanish when I begun learning Italian, I find myself mixing up some of the words. Something I wonder about language is, how long one should study a language before one can have a solid knowledge of it?

3 comments:

  1. I believe younger you are easier and faster it is for you to process and speak the language. I have a 17 months old baby, I speak to him in French, Creole, English and I let him listen to spanish. I always hear a child brain is a sponge. They gather everything they hear, when its ready to use, then that part of the brain remembers it. I grew up speaking French and Creole, I was very fluent back home in both languages, lately I rarely speak them because I want to advance my English level. I found myself putting words together lately on my own native language whenever I'm speaking to a relative back home. Or tools my 7yrs old cousins 6months to learn English when she moved here from home while it tools her mom 3yrs to learn it. Older we are, more embarrassed we are, more stress, all of that make it longer for an adult to learn a new language. Compare to young kids, they youn, full of life, wants to explore, which makes it easier for them to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, learning at a younger age is so much easier then being and adult and struggling to learn it or learn it again. As a child i wish my parents spoke to me in spanish or taught me the language but i was only taught english. i can understand it now but the only reason being was that i took classes in Highschool but eventually never practiced it and it left my abilities. i do understand it now but barely and rarely speak it. i wish i knew more but i dont. i also tried to learn italian one semester at LaGuardia but that didnt work out either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For whatever reason, the post you left on my pg had been removed

    ReplyDelete